TANSTAAFL

TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

At the first time I found this acronym, I thought it appears to be a kind of Scandinavian name.

Anyway, I have in fact been adopting this term all the time. The truth is that I may at some stage expect something in return when I give something to anyone. And I believe so does everyone. Do you?

But, on the contrary, I always try to pursue such thing as a free lunch. But, what I get at last is that I still pay at least a few part of dollars I avoid to spend. At least there is even a small feedback.

Playing pool costs me about 10 bucks per hour. One time, I went outing with a couple of friends and found a bar with a free pool table. We played 3 hours for free and it means that we saved about 30 bucks. But, I realised that each of us finally spent 15 bucks for beers in three hours.

Does donation and charity programmes refer to TANSTAAFL? Yes, I think so. However, when you do some donations and charities you can use your receipt to claim back some amount of money for tax return. It is obvious that there are still matters to receive in return.

How about the things on the web? There are many things that I can get for free. Yeah right. But I need to copy and paste the banners or take in the ads and credits.

However, there are in fact many free things on the web in terms of free information and knowledge. I really enjoy it and that's for sure.

One thing to conclude, TANSTAAFL no longer applies if we at our transcendence stage are willing to share something with others based on love and affection.

2 comments:

Enda Nasution Thursday, 24 February, 2005  

...However, there are in fact many free things on the web in terms of free information and knowledge. I really enjoy it and that's for sure...well, there aren't free either, u might end up influenced by those "free" knowledge and find urself [gasp] agreeing to their points. :)

nice blog btw! :)

Anymatters Friday, 25 February, 2005  

I am actually. Too much info and knowledge confuses me sometimes. I need some filters. Yang penting-penting aja ya Nda.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.